Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

area of interests and chosen discipline?

+7
KiddingAround
JezzaBella
TradeMark
DressageAndRhinestones
Reinergirl
Zada
myevenstar
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

area of interests and chosen discipline? Empty area of interests and chosen discipline?

Post  myevenstar Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 pm

So, I see in the “what are you doing this summer thread”, that a lot of people have been mentioning their disciplines. I thought it would be cool to have a thread where people can list their areas of horse related interest, if they compete, what they compete in etc etc.

Mine :

I have always worked with young horses, my interest is in the starting of horses, how that impacts who they become in their relationship with people and how it molds their behaviors. The communication process I find extremely rewarding and I enjoy the psychology involved.

I used to work with a lot of abused and neglected horses... though I am no longer pursuing that course of action, and am content to devote myself completely to my personal horses.

I am fascinated by reining, that would be something I would like to eventually become involved in.

Lets hear yours?
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

area of interests and chosen discipline? Empty Re: area of interests and chosen discipline?

Post  Zada Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Smile Good idea

I ride western. I was on a drill team for 6 years and have just been trail riding since. I'm hoping to get into reining once my filly is started undersaddle. She's the first that I've raised from a weanling on my own, so I'm pretty excited! I've tried a little of everything in the western world.
Zada
Zada

Back to top Go down

area of interests and chosen discipline? Empty Re: area of interests and chosen discipline?

Post  myevenstar Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:10 pm

me too Zada, western all the way for me, though 95% of the time I ride bareback! I have never rode english, although I did own an english saddle once, my dad bought it for me because I dont think he realized the differences, bless his heart. I sold it an auction a year or so later.

Isnt reining beautiful? I find it completely enthralling....when is your filly ready to start? What does she look like, how tall, etc etc... AQHA? APHA? Did you post pictures of her in the pictures forum? I will have to look.

There is nothing like starting your own horse from scratch, its like custom tailoring the horse to fit yourself and vice versa in a lot of ways too.

You will have to keep me updated on your progress, and I will do the same, I have a new colt coming on Thursday that has a reining pedigree, so that will be a start!
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Reinergirl Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Started in english lessons when I was nine, and never really found my "niche". Went to college for an equestrian diploma and started taking western lessons there. Bought my reining/cow bred gelding in '05, started showing in reining. Last summer went to work for a cutting horse trainer, and am now into the "cow stuff!" Still show in reining and would like to start going to cutting shows, but it's just so darned expensive! Going to start roping this summer for fun... Smile
Reinergirl
Reinergirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Zada Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:04 pm

myevenstar wrote:me too Zada, western all the way for me, though 95% of the time I ride bareback! I have never rode english, although I did own an english saddle once, my dad bought it for me because I dont think he realized the differences, bless his heart. I sold it an auction a year or so later.

Isnt reining beautiful? I find it completely enthralling....when is your filly ready to start? What does she look like, how tall, etc etc... AQHA? APHA? Did you post pictures of her in the pictures forum? I will have to look.

There is nothing like starting your own horse from scratch, its like custom tailoring the horse to fit yourself and vice versa in a lot of ways too.

You will have to keep me updated on your progress, and I will do the same, I have a new colt coming on Thursday that has a reining pedigree, so that will be a start!
Exciting! Congratulations on your new guy Smile My filly is 2 this month, but I wo'nt be starting her until fall when I have all the ground work done. She's basically just been a horse for the last year or so because I've been in Lethbridge for school. There's a picture of her in the 'introduction' section Smile She's not too tall... about 15 at the butt right now, and APHA, but BS!

I'll definately keep you updated!! Do you go to any reining shows? I'd love to go watch this summer but I don't know how to find out about them.

Reiner girl - where are you going to be roping??Smile
Zada
Zada

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Reinergirl wrote:Started in english lessons when I was nine, and never really found my "niche". Went to college for an equestrian diploma and started taking western lessons there. Bought my reining/cow bred gelding in '05, started showing in reining. Last summer went to work for a cutting horse trainer, and am now into the "cow stuff!" Still show in reining and would like to start going to cutting shows, but it's just so darned expensive! Going to start roping this summer for fun... Smile

Wow! You are a busy girl....did you find a ride to Red Deer yet? Did you put up pictures of your horse?
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Zada:

http://www.reiningalberta.net/

Here is a link that will be useful to find the events etc you might be interested in going to. I havent been to a show, but have watched demonstrations as well as horses in training.... watched lots of videos of horses competing on youtube though!

Your horses are beautiful! So is your dog!

My gelding is an APHA breeding stock too... but as I said in the pictures thread, he has a white patch about the size of my fist, so im going to try and switch his registry over, he is 16.1hh, the colt I have coming is a 2 year old palomino AQHA, he isnt going to be very tall, I think maybe he will finish at 15hh.
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Zada Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:55 pm

Thanks for the link! I've watched many times before, but would like to go this summer to make sure it's something I want to get into. I eventually want to go to clinics too so I want to find out who does those etc Smile I'm pretty excited if you can't tell LOL!

ThankS! My dog is the love of my life... unfortunately she had to get an eye removed today Sad

Where did you get your colt from? Paly's are always flashy in the show ring! Are you going to use your big guy in reining too?
Zada
Zada

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Oh my god!! Why? What happened to her, poor thing. My dog is my world too, i would be so torn up if anything ever happened to him, life threatening or not so i can imagine how you must feel.

getting the colt off a lady outside Edmonton, who got him from the breeder as a weanling. I will throw up some pics of him after he gets home.

This is my dog, Hudson. His mom was a rotty-Lab, and his dad a PB golden retriever.

[img]area of interests and chosen discipline? Hudson10[/img]

he was dressed as a hula dancer to greet the kids at the door on halloween!

[img]area of interests and chosen discipline? Hudson11[/img]
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Reinergirl Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 pm

myevenstar wrote:Wow! You are a busy girl....did you find a ride to Red Deer yet? Did you put up pictures of your horse?

No, I haven't found a ride to Red Deer yet... I put up an ad on Kijiji, and keep checking on here, but nothing yet... Hopefully I find something soon - I have until the 13th to pay, otherwise I forfeit my spot Sad
I don't have pics of my guy up yet (other than my avatar) - most of what I have downloaded on my computer are just pics of him hanging around in his stall/paddock - no "action" shots! Hopefully I'll get some this summer...

Zada - the barn I board at has ranch roping and team roping on Sunday's. My farrier is involved in the ranch roping, so he's going to give me some pointers!
Reinergirl
Reinergirl

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 pm

I ride dressage, in case you couldn't tell Razz
Right now I am riding and training a fairly young horse. I also ride other peoples horses for free just for experience type thing.

The thing I am really interested in is getting into the political side of dressage and promoting it and getting more support and interest in it. Once I have graduated and am settled into a job I would really like to be president of the provincial dressage board, and eventually move onto Dressage Canada and FEI committees.

Another one of my passions is judging. I am really hoping to get all my requirements for my "r" judging status this year. I already have the scores I just need to get some hours in judging! So if any of you are running a small schooling show, or know someone that is and are looking for a free judge, let me know!
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  TradeMark Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:50 pm

I've been riding for 13 years.. started western, moved to english, spotted in jumping for a few years, and have been doing alot of dressage work lately. I ride western often still though. I've been riding at Duke Ranches for the 13 years, and working there for 7 of them. For the earlier years, I helped friends with their horses, and looked for people who would even just let my BRUSH their horses lol, I just always wanted to be around them. Later in my teens, I got my first horse (Kozmo) through a free lease, who was given to me a year later, in which the same time I bought my warmblood gelding (Vinny) as a yearling. With Kozmo, I started dressage and got back into jumping, but haven't jumped much since I put him down a year and a bit ago. I've always enjoyed taking on a challenge with the problem horses, whether it's a soundness issue, weight, training, ground work, etc.. I love analyzing and setting out a plan, and making things come together.

I've taken on alot of horses with problems, and haven't found one yet that has stumped me *knock on wood* lol. The plan is to be showing Vinny this year in both dressage, and some jumping by the end of the season.
TradeMark
TradeMark

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:55 pm

DressageAndRhinestones wrote:I ride dressage, in case you couldn't tell Razz
Right now I am riding and training a fairly young horse. I also ride other peoples horses for free just for experience type thing.

The thing I am really interested in is getting into the political side of dressage and promoting it and getting more support and interest in it. Once I have graduated and am settled into a job I would really like to be president of the provincial dressage board, and eventually move onto Dressage Canada and FEI committees.

Another one of my passions is judging. I am really hoping to get all my requirements for my "r" judging status this year. I already have the scores I just need to get some hours in judging! So if any of you are running a small schooling show, or know someone that is and are looking for a free judge, let me know!

Very ambitious undertaking. I know nothing at all about dressage, but I am guessing it takes a lot of time and effort and commitment doesn't it?
I thought it had a very large following, but probably not as much in Alberta as other places? How long have you been pursuing your interest in judging?
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:17 pm

TradeMark wrote:I've been riding for 13 years.. started western, moved to english, spotted in jumping for a few years, and have been doing alot of dressage work lately. I ride western often still though. I've been riding at Duke Ranches for the 13 years, and working there for 7 of them. For the earlier years, I helped friends with their horses, and looked for people who would even just let my BRUSH their horses lol, I just always wanted to be around them. Later in my teens, I got my first horse (Kozmo) through a free lease, who was given to me a year later, in which the same time I bought my warmblood gelding (Vinny) as a yearling. With Kozmo, I started dressage and got back into jumping, but haven't jumped much since I put him down a year and a bit ago. I've always enjoyed taking on a challenge with the problem horses, whether it's a soundness issue, weight, training, ground work, etc.. I love analyzing and setting out a plan, and making things come together.

I've taken on alot of horses with problems, and haven't found one yet that has stumped me *knock on wood* lol. The plan is to be showing Vinny this year in both dressage, and some jumping by the end of the season.

Sorry to hear about Kozmo, how long was he with you for?

You have never met a horse that made you throw up your hands in despair? I have met two horses in my life that gave me mega problems. One, a buckskin AQHA mare, mean as mean could be... you couldnt get near her without her trying to take your face off....if you walked past her stall, she would slam her chest into the door with her ears pinned and her teeth bared....and she would lunge at you... she was like an attack dog. She was my neighbors horse, so ..maybe not "stumped" me, but more so, made me think there are some challenges better left unmet. Rolling Eyes

There was also an anglo arab mare... she was sent to me, and she was just hopeless, a total loose cannon.

She wasnt mean, but Im pretty sure she wasnt all there upstairs....... Im actually laughing when I think about her. She was a humbling experience, I had her for a year all together before i sent her back to her home. The old man who had her, wanted her to be safe for his little grand kids, and so I told him to look for another horse. I didnt see her ever getting to a point that she would be suitable or safe for little kids.
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  JezzaBella Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:01 am

TradeMark wrote:
I've taken on alot of horses with problems, and haven't found one yet that has stumped me *knock on wood* lol.

You should have worked with Blue for a humbling experience LOL! (brain werrrrmms!)
JezzaBella
JezzaBella

http://www.vershantieranch.20fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JezzaBella Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:15 am

I've been riding for 17 years and I'm still yet to find a sport I'm into... So I just be happy with pleasure riding, wow riding just for fun! That's sacriledge!! haha. I'd like to do dressage with Bella, which is weird cause I'm not a huge fan of the sport, I just think she'd be good at it and I'd lke to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a good trainer/riding coach anyways. I'd like to hit some low level shows this summer with her, just cause I've never gone to a show and it'd be a good learning experience for both of us. We have a clinic coming up this saturday, I'm uber nervous (my first 'clinic')

when I was younger I rode western, all pleasure and trail riding. But got into english when I got back in the saddle after a break of 7 years (I had no money to lease anyone and the horses I used to ride passed away) . Then I got smart and left Money Pit B.C. for here and jumped right back into the horse world with both feet. I've taken a few lessons since, never took any as a kid (parents could barely make it from paycheque to paycheque, mom was on income assistance for some time). Learning as a kid, I kinda climbed on and went from there, funny how far common sense can get a person.

I do prefer western (neck reining), but I also like some things about english so I do both. My Diesel, coming 3, is going to be strickly western I would feel lik an idiot on his lil 14.1 frame in a english saddle. He's catching onto neck reining but I do resort to the good ol two hand way when he needs the more urging. It'll take a while, but he's coming along. My appy goes western awesome but she's spicy and needs more pressure to keep her in check. Diesel is trained in cart, we just got him in it a few times last fall before the snow fell. I'll have him in it much more this summer, theharnessing up is a lot of work, I still don't have all the straps totally figured out without needing help. lol
JezzaBella
JezzaBella

http://www.vershantieranch.20fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:52 pm

myevenstar wrote:
Very ambitious undertaking. I know nothing at all about dressage, but I am guessing it takes a lot of time and effort and commitment doesn't it?
I thought it had a very large following, but probably not as much in Alberta as other places? How long have you been pursuing your interest in judging?
Ohhh yes it takes a lot of work and time and money! Dressage actually has an abysmal following in North America, it is getting better but still when you tell a lot of people "I do dressage" they say "Oh so you jump/race/drive horses?". And it is still really tough to get sponsorships as a dressage rider/trainer/show organizer.
I seriously started thinking about judging about a year ago, and then was really prompted to when a recently retired FEI judge from Canada was talking to me about how the interest in judging is really waning and there aren't a lot of up-and-coming Canadian judges, compared to riders or coaches. Right now I'm very busy with school so I don't have a lot of opportunities to really get involved, that should soon change though!
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  TradeMark Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:28 pm

You should have worked with Blue for a humbling experience LOL! (brain werrrrmms!)

Brain worms aren't "Stumping" lol, don't forget I have Lex, he's got his fair share (not as spooky as Blue, but brain worms none the less)... it's something you just deal with, or don't. We have a couple at Dukes that no matter what you did, they were always silly.. but you just ride them a little differently lmao

Sorry to hear about Kozmo, how long was he with you for?

You have never met a horse that made you throw up your hands in despair? I have met two horses in my life that gave me mega problems. One, a buckskin AQHA mare, mean as mean could be... you couldnt get near her without her trying to take your face off....if you walked past her stall, she would slam her chest into the door with her ears pinned and her teeth bared....and she would lunge at you... she was like an attack dog. She was my neighbors horse, so ..maybe not "stumped" me, but more so, made me think there are some challenges better left unmet.

I had Kozmo for only 3 years before I had to put him down, he was a Dutch WB/TB... but had a jugular melanoma. He was only 9, but he was a very special horse. OK, I should have phrased that better, I've never agreed to take on a horse that I couldn't figure something out with LOL! There have been a few that I just looked at, and said "Noooo Thanks", but unless it's a dangerous situation, I like the challenge. I agree with the fact that you definitely have to pick your "fights" wisely. There have been the horses that there's no point working with because it won't be kept up, so it's not really worth the time and effort for people to undo the work a short time after. I'm positive there would have been a couple I just wouldn't know what to do with, but I was mainly directing the comment at the ones I *have* taken on.

I may be able to help you out with that! I know of a couple facilities that would love to host, if someone was willing to judge.. I'll spread the word the the people I know, and PM you with what they say in the next week. Would small schooling shows be alright? (Ex... 5-10 riders or something?) Also, what is the "R" judging status? I admit I have no idea what it is lol
TradeMark
TradeMark

Back to top Go down

Post  TradeMark Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:40 pm

On another note, this is Kozmo (I jump at the chance when people ask about him Embarassed )

area of interests and chosen discipline? N626345230_759371_7109

area of interests and chosen discipline? N626345230_396212_4262
TradeMark
TradeMark

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:16 pm

TradeMark wrote:

I may be able to help you out with that! I know of a couple facilities that would love to host, if someone was willing to judge.. I'll spread the word the the people I know, and PM you with what they say in the next week. Would small schooling shows be alright? (Ex... 5-10 riders or something?) Also, what is the "R" judging status? I admit I have no idea what it is lol

"r" is the first dressage judging level. Then there's "B", "M", "S" and the FEI levels.
http://www.equinecanada.ca/dressage/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=464

I don't have my rule books with me but I was basically told that judging pony club and stuff would be applicable. I'll check tonight though, and thank you so much!!
I'm going to be in Calgary from may-august.
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:56 pm

I ride western, but did take english and jumping lessons in my younger years.
With Kid, I did a year of barrel racing in BC, and would like to try my hand at it again this year. My fiance wants to train him to rope though......so I may be out a horse! LOL!
Our old mare Dixie is just a good ol cow horse. We keep her at home, and use her to move our cattle, and the neighbors, and for guests to ride when they come out.
We are looking at another horse for here. A rope horse ideally, as Dixie needs to go into her semi retirement. Gonna possibly pick up a 10 year old paint mare.....fingers crossed!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:56 pm

Whooooooooooa, trademark.

Kozmo was a gorgeous horse! Absolutely stunning! Im so sorry he isnt with you anymore Crying or Very sad
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 pm

KiddingAround wrote:I ride western, but did take english and jumping lessons in my younger years.
With Kid, I did a year of barrel racing in BC, and would like to try my hand at it again this year. My fiance wants to train him to rope though......so I may be out a horse! LOL!
Our old mare Dixie is just a good ol cow horse. We keep her at home, and use her to move our cattle, and the neighbors, and for guests to ride when they come out.
We are looking at another horse for here. A rope horse ideally, as Dixie needs to go into her semi retirement. Gonna possibly pick up a 10 year old paint mare.....fingers crossed!

Isnt horse shopping one of the most exciting things ever?! Have you looked at the mare yet? If all goes well, when might you be bringing her home? You will have to keep us updated! I have one coming on Thursday... and Im sure will be telling everyone all about him then.
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  ParkAvenueEquines Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 pm

I do nothing and am interested in everything. At this point, I don't even ride.

Area's I am interested in trying out, are jumping, barrel racing, cross country, reining, cutting, and exercise riding (racehorses).

I have little riding experience now, so I won't be doing anything on that list in even the slightly near future. Right now, I'd settle for trail riding, lol. Three years owning horses, and I've only ridden a handful of times during that time (I was riding much more often when I was 12-14), because I bought three yearlings and a two year old. On the plus side, they are now four and five years old and are going to hopefully be with a trainer this summer so I can finally ride them.
ParkAvenueEquines
ParkAvenueEquines

http://www.parkavenueequines.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Park Ave, your bluntness gave me a chuckle!

Good luck getting your horses going!
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next