Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Peoples Pony club

4 posters

Go down

Old Peoples Pony club Empty Old Peoples Pony club

Post  Janus Mon May 04, 2009 10:59 am

Anyone in the High River, or south of Calgary area interested in starting an
OPPC? Check out the website http://www.oldpeoplesridingclub.org/membership.htm

I am new to this area and need to get to know people with horses but also need something to do with my horses too. It sounds interesting and after having done everything for my kids that are now grown it is time to do something for me.

Janus

Back to top Go down

Old Peoples Pony club Empty Re: Old Peoples Pony club

Post  KTKlassen Fri May 08, 2009 9:58 am

I always thought there should be a pony club for adults Very Happy I would be very happy to join something like this, and have a neighbour who I'm sure would be as well. We both live near Okotoks.
KTKlassen
KTKlassen

Back to top Go down

Post  Janus Fri May 08, 2009 6:32 pm

KT, Do you know of a stable that would host a club like this? Did you check into the website I linked to...I would love to get one started but just do not know how to get it done.

The main thing would be to have somewhere to ride...is there public horse facilities anywhere in Okotoks? In High River I know no one who might be interested and no English stables. I know there is a rodeo grounds here but have no idea who to contact and even if I did we need about 10 people to get this started.

I am hoping to find a stable to learn to ride dressage in the Okotoks area this fall but it sure would be nice to figure out how to start this right away and who to contact to get the ball rolling....any ideas?
Janice

Janus

Back to top Go down

Post  KTKlassen Sat May 09, 2009 9:28 am

Hi Janice,
The only public arena that I know of in the area is at the Okotoks Ag Society, www.okotoksag.com , on 2A north of Okotoks. It is really busy usually, but they do rent times for clubs. How much it costs, I have no idea. I know to ride during public times they require a membership as well as a riding pass though. They do have a couple of outdoor rings as well as two indoors, but not sure if they rent out the outdoor ones separately in the summer or not. I can think of one other arena that might be willing to rent space for a couple hours per week, just south of Okotoks. I'll see what I can find out.
Kathryn
KTKlassen
KTKlassen

Back to top Go down

Post  karey397 Sat May 09, 2009 4:38 pm

I would be intrested in that! Iam always looking to meet new people to ride with and learn new things. I love you
karey397
karey397

Back to top Go down

Post  Janus Sun May 10, 2009 8:24 am

Kathryn, Maybe if we found some old pony clubbers that could help us find out where they all go? Where I was at Devon they had their own outdoor grounds and a bunch of them went to an indoor in the winter....their program was limited in the winter but it was do what ever you want for riding but some informational sessions. I wonder if I put an ad up somewhere? I also think I will go to the English tack shop in Okotoks and talk to the lady there. We need some members who are older Pony club mom's that could give us information and experience and want to help do this...I can do a lot, but will need lots of help I am sure, especially since I am new here.

Karey, any ideas? Did you look through the Old Peoples Pony Club Website? None in Canada yet but a good place to start is here.
Janice

Janus

Back to top Go down

Post  Janus Sun May 10, 2009 8:33 am

Also was wondering is there any club in this area that is similar to what the website talks about? I cannot seem to find anything or anyone...it seems pretty hard when you are new to town to connect with anyone with horses............but trail riders group, Dressage club, .....
Janice

Janus

Back to top Go down

Post  Janus Wed May 13, 2009 8:37 am

The pony club in Okotoks meets in the Hebson Arena. Need to get ahold of some of the movers and shakers in it and see if they can suggest a core of people to contact.

Janus

Back to top Go down

Post  KTKlassen Wed May 13, 2009 10:47 am

I figured that's where the PC people around here met. Hebson is part of the Okotoks Ag Society. Perhaps those of us who are interested could meet for coffee sometime and chat about this? Might be easier...
KTKlassen
KTKlassen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Hatter Thu May 14, 2009 11:00 am

Keep us updated on your OPPC! I was in PC for years but its been a while... and I'm new to... well, Alberta!, so it'd be nice to meet other horsey people!

Mad Hatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Janus Wed May 20, 2009 5:19 pm

Sorry I have had computer problems. I have emailed the Pony Club at different sections of Alberta and have had no reply. IMO we need to find someone that is an overage pony clubber or several and an arena that would be open to people having meetings and horse events and boarders that would do pony club at their facility. I am willing to do about anything but cannot do a lot of it myself and the real problem is I know nothing about Pony Club..how they operate, what they do and when.....I have ridden western my whole life....ages and watched pony club operate down the road form me for 20 years but was not involved as I had boys................

Do you think it would it do any good to meet and discuss it with only say three or four of us? How can we get more people interested? Can we put an ad up somewhere? IS there any sort of horsey group around here that we can talk to?

Janus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Hatter Thu May 21, 2009 9:20 am

I can probably help with the pony club experience. As I said, I'm new to the calgary area so I have no idea where to go to meet. I was in pony club for 6 years and was involved afterwards with coaching their mounted games teams. Pony club can be pretty structured, you'd have to let me know what you're goals are for this one and I can give you feedback as to how PC is structured.

I don't mind meeting for coffee or whatnot to discuss.

Mad Hatter

Back to top Go down

Old Peoples Pony club Empty ATTENTION ATTENTION I AM SO EXCITED!!

Post  Janus Thu May 28, 2009 9:14 am

I just got an email from the Albert south Region Chair and here is the jist of the email.

Alberta South Region of Canadian Pony Club had its monthly meeting last night and I raised the issue of adult pony club. Apparently, this is quite well established in the United States but not in Canada. Our National Director, Jill Stephenson, is working on starting the first adult pony club in Canada in your area as it happens. Jill's contact email are jills@platinum.ca,

I suggest any and all of you interested email Jill and put Adult Pony Club in the subject line!! I am going to email her right away and let her know of my interest.

This Club will be in the Okotoks area and hopefully we can all help to get it started!

Janice

Janus

Back to top Go down

Post  KTKlassen Thu May 28, 2009 9:37 am

I've been waiting to hear on this, glad to hear they're putting one together. A friend's daughter is in that PC and she'd heard they were talking about it. I know I'll be signing up for sure!
KTKlassen
KTKlassen

Back to top Go down

Post  Janus Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:31 pm

KT have you found out anything about starting up an OPPC? Did you go to Dewinton and check out the Davisburg group? I haven't heard anything and have been too busy to go to De Winton and check it out...seems I am hauling lumber or watering trees or supervising something and then remember it after it is too late.

Janus

Back to top Go down

Post  KTKlassen Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 am

No, nothing more yet. She said it would be the middle of July likely, so I've just been waiting patiently and trying to gather more recruits Very Happy
KTKlassen
KTKlassen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down