Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Nile vaccinations

+3
smolcicacreage
EquineAlberta
sierra
7 posters

Go down

West Nile vaccinations Empty West Nile vaccinations

Post  sierra Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:51 am

When is the best time to vaccinate for WNV?? I had heard that early May was the best time to get vac's done for WNV but some of my horsey friends aren't getting theirs done until mid-June....does it really matter when they are vaccinated if it's just a booster?? I do have two horses here that I don't have a vac history on so they'll need boosters but the rest are just regulars. Thoughts??!
sierra
sierra

Back to top Go down

West Nile vaccinations Empty Re: West Nile vaccinations

Post  EquineAlberta Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:13 pm

THere is a new vaccine out that does not need a booster and lasts a full year. The old one needs a booster and only lasts six months, so if you vaccinate with it, it is best to do it May so your horse has the immunity benefit in time for the misquitos that carry WN to come out, which is usually August . As the misquitos are dead in October, the horse really doesn't need to be covered for that time of year.

Karen
EquineAlberta
EquineAlberta

http://www.hillsidestable.ca

Back to top Go down

West Nile vaccinations Empty Re:WN vac.

Post  smolcicacreage Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 am

I was told that there is a chance that the vac. could harm the horse as well. So either way Im taking a chance. I know a very prominent breeder who says she has had it done in the past, but probably wouldn't do it again. She told me I am def. taking a chance, but was up to me.

smolcicacreage

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:03 pm

my good friend's husband happens to be a vet, and I have talked this out with him at length.
I am doing the Fort Dodge rather than the prevenile as Karen mentioned, for no reason other than that was in stock at the veterinary center. I picked up 3 doses of Innovator EWT, I think they were only $28 dollars or so each. This covers the Eastern/Western sleeping sickness, tetanus and Westnile.

I am firmly of the mind, better safe than sorry. A mare went down with West Nile, where I kept my horse two summers ago....it was extremely sad. You were saying that it could be harmful? Do you know it what way? I admit, I have read articles where people are convinced that the vaccine caused birth defects in pregnant mares, though not proven. (I have two geldings!)

The vets here told me late April. They highly recommend it, and not so they can make money off their vet calls, because 9/10 people out here do their own horses.

Talking to a few farmers about whether they do their horses, what I heard a lot of the time, is they dont vaccinate them all, they do the important ones, and the ones worth money.
Rolling Eyes
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 am

I usually do mine in mid June, however this year I did a couple yearly because they are leaving to the trainers in a few days!
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

http://www.fehrgroundranchs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dreamalittledream Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:11 am

I generally do mine in early June at the latest, but I missed them last year so I will likely do them earlier this year.
I have never had any complications with giving them their WN shots & can't imagine it being worse then actually being infected.

Even though I have been very diligent about it, I felt very badly last year as money was a huge issue at that time. This year their will be no putting it off . We were also lucky because our mosquito population was very low last year...not counting on that again!
dreamalittledream
dreamalittledream

Back to top Go down

Post  buckskinchic Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:27 pm

I normally do all my vaccinations in May. If its the horses first vaccination then they'll have their booster completed by June and ready for end of June's mosquito season. I use the West Nile Innovator with EWT and Tetnus. And if your concerned about Rhino and Flu that is available in the Fluvac EVT 4/1 (I work at a Vet clinic). If you use those two vaccinations together your not doubling up on anything. Strangles is another vacc as well.

buckskinchic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down