Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What discipline?

5 posters

Go down

What discipline? Empty What discipline?

Post  FehrGroundRanch Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:05 am

Just as the title says! Very Happy

I ride western and mainly trail ride, some local western pleasure shows. However my true passion is reining, I've finally got the oppurtuity to live that dream. I have a filly in with Gregg Lauder at the moment and I just can't wait to get her out and shown.
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

http://www.fehrgroundranchs.com

Back to top Go down

What discipline? Empty Re: What discipline?

Post  Newfie Rider Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:44 am

I'm mostly a hunter/jumper, but I've been trying my hand more with Eventing and I really want to get out to do some more of it. I havn't been able to do too much of it yet, just one event last year and a few XC schooling sessions, but I really enjoyed it.
Newfie Rider
Newfie Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Western here. We have ranch horses, and I used to barrel race. Trying to learn to rope, but two of our horses can do it already. Also, hopefully going to do some penning this winter.
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  JezzaBella Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:41 am

I don't have a particular sport I'm interested in, I bend and flex with whatever area each of my horses is suited for. I guess you could say I'm first and foremost a trail rider (nothing beats adventures in the great outdoors). All my horses are taken out in the trails very much, next season will be Diesel's first official year out and about.

Bella I ride english, and have lightly showed. Would like to take some dressage lessons with her but $$$ stops me. She spends a lot of time out in the trails with us as well.

Diesel I'd like to learn some reining with next season, but for now he's just my casual/fun western pony...

Dancer is also just my western causal ride, she's been there done that and is a ball of energy out on the trails. She knows everything I'd require her to, so it's a really relaxing time with her as I don't have to school her whatsoever. Point and click.

It's all about having fun and enjoying time spent with my best friends, whatever direction we go is really up to them, cause i"m happy with anything.
JezzaBella
JezzaBella

http://www.vershantieranch.20fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:57 pm

Western here too. I have a QH gelding that is trained in calf and team roping but I don't know how to throw a rope to save my life. I would love to try team roping (flying off the saddle and straddling a calf doesn't interest me!!). This past weekend I helped a friend move cattle at their neighbours. Both Sam and I had a blast so I would love to try penning with him. Does anyone know if your horse has to have extra training to do this?? I would LOVE to have a western pleasure horse but I am with Jezzabell on this --- the $$$$ stops me from getting a horse that is trained in it. I guess I am a lover of all disciplines as I would love to try English some point in my life too. So many things to try, not enough time or money to try them.
Sam
Sam

http://mxgirl.smugmug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Sam, for penning, as long as your horse has some cow sense you should be good! There are lots of arena's that do penning in the winter for a fun thing, so a great learning experience!
I am hoping to get to do some this winter too. My gelding learned to rope this summer, and I use him to move cattle, so I think penning is a great way to keep them moving and work on that cow sense!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks! Now I just need to find somewhere are Redwater that does penning...
Sam
Sam

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Too bad you're that far away! I have a friend who would like to learn, and if the girls I'm hoping to team up with don't pan out, we'd need a 3rd!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:59 am

That's odd that on this forum there is more western than english.

I am a member of another forum and almost all the Alberta members are english riders.
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:18 pm

I found that too. Most forums in general are english, but most people I've met out here ride western. Probably don't have as much time as I do in the evenings to go online! LOL!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:12 am

LOL

I know a ton of people from Calgary and are that ride english. But where I am EVERYONE rides western. Mountian trail riding is very popular where I live (because of being so close to the mountians and the Ya-ha-tina(sp?)
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:45 am

I think it's Ya-Ha-Tinda. At least that's what it sounds like! Everyone here has cattle, so everyone I've met rides western too. I have a friend that's from Ontario, and she has only ridden english. Now I am destroying all her english training on my oh so western horses! LOL!
I know of a few people who go ride out your way, and it's a trip I HAVE to make! I'm from BC, and I so miss riding in the mountains/forest. The flat fields sure do get dull after a while!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:56 am

I actually haven't even ridden out of the arena in about a year. As close as I live to the Ya-Ha-Tinda (45 mins) I've never been out there with the horses. The family and I went out for some hiking, but no trail riding.

I'm expecting my second baby and have doctors orders not to ride but after this baby is born I'm hoping to get some trail riding in.
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:54 pm

Congrats on the new addition! At least you can stay off of riding now that the weather is cruddy and you're not missing much. Don't think I'll ever make it to the Ya-Ha-Tinda as my fiance is not much of a mountain man. *sigh*

My arena is not finished, and it's in the plan for next year. I do a lot of field riding, and when we had all our cattle I just checked on them. Went to a couple brandings, and our neighbor has a day long "cattle drive" moving his 2 herds from two different pastures to home. 7 hours in the saddle......ouch.
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  JezzaBella Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:14 pm

KiddingAround wrote:Went to a couple brandings, and our neighbor has a day long "cattle drive" moving his 2 herds from two different pastures to home. 7 hours in the saddle......ouch.

Anytime you need help!!! I've always wanted to join on something like that, to actually ride with a purpose lol. I tried it here once, just toying around... I was fine until the bull stared us down, then I was done with that game lol.
JezzaBella
JezzaBella

http://www.vershantieranch.20fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:55 pm

I took Sam on our first cattle drive a couple weeks ago and we both had a blast. If anyone EVER wants help moving cattle let me know and I will be there!! I can't wait until we have the farm all done as my arena is all planned out and ready to build in a couple years.
Sam
Sam

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:25 pm

The more the merrier! We move about 50 cow/calf pairs from one pasture, and about 30 heifers from another. GREAT experience for the horses, not much fazes them after that!
I'll run it past my neighbor.....he won't know what to do with all that help! It is so much fun. We move cattle some too, for brandings. He has 1-2 a year, and we rope and drag the calves with the horses. Also a great learning experience! My friend from Ontario loves it, a REAL Albertan experience! LOL
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Sam is trained for healing/heeling as well as calf roping --- it is just me that needs to learn how to throw a rope. Everyone bugs me about getting a roping horse and not knowing how. Guess I have to buy a rope and do a little self teaching next summer!! I have 2 Jack Russells, they should work good as moving targets. LOL.
Sam
Sam

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 am

I rope a mean fence post...and that's about it! I've drug a fence post before......I really need to get on the learning thing, now that my horse knows how!
Jack Russels would make PERFECT targets, as long as they don't chew their way out before you release them!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down