Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pee Wee bit?

2 posters

Go down

Pee Wee bit? Empty Pee Wee bit?

Post  myevenstar Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:40 am

Has anyone any experience with the PeeWee bit? I did a lot of research on it last year as well as read a lot of reviews, but wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience with it, and if they have, what they think.

http://www.peeweebit.com

I ordered one late last fall and will be trying it out on my gelding for the first time in the next couple of weeks. It was a pretty penny, but I am totally sold on it. I just hope Im as happy with it in practise as I am in theory.

Opinions?

What makes the Pee Wee Bit unique is the way it delivers a clear signal. The Bit avoids placing pressure on the sensitive parts of the mouth, is light and comfortable, which is very acceptable to the horse. Traditional bits can cause discomfort and pain, and send a broken signal which causes confusion.

With pressure on both reins the signal is to the top of the bars, encouraging the horse to tuck his chin and flex at the pole.

My gelding is still learning, so I was intrigued by the idea of this bit for him, I will be starting a second colt this spring, and will start in the bosal, but thought again, this might be a great next step for him.
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Pee Wee bit? Empty Re: Pee Wee bit?

Post  EquineAlberta Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:44 pm

I agree that the mouth peice looks pretty mild, but the bar that sits on the outside of their mouth, and looks like it would pinch their skin in, towards their lower jaw has me a little worried. WIth a large tongued horse, the mullen mouth peice is going to squish the tongue when pulled on (as the way it is made, the curved part will rotate forward, not up) and may press into the edges of the palate which is a VERY sensitive place and/or it may pull the tongue back in the mouth. I suppose pressure on the edges of the palate may encourage the horse to push its pole forward (the theory behind ports), but I think I would only use this bit on a horse with a small tongue.

You also will want to keep in mind that will an unjointed bit, pulling on the left rein, will also affect the right, in this case pulling the lower jaw over to the left and pushing the bit up into the palate on the right side.

The more I think of it, the less I like this bit for english riding. I worry it will encourage the horse to have a stiff lower jaw, and to twist its head to bend rather than bend through the neck & withers. For western, I think it is an ok bit, as it will make the transition to a curb a little easier.

Karen
EquineAlberta
EquineAlberta

http://www.hillsidestable.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks Karen,

I ride western with very little emphasis on contact with the mouth, we work on a loose rein. Ozzie was started in the bosal. The signal to turn when he was being started, was with pressure first from the opposite leg, followed by the outside "rein" laying on his neck, and then using the inside rein with increasing pressure until he "gave' and moved in the direction as asked. This was done from day one, so that it never became a point of "now its time to learn to neck rein", but rather him learning that he is being asked before he is being directed. Im asking with my body language and then confirming with the rein, "yes this is what Im asking you to do" and then following ( when I had him in two hands) by the inside rein telling him "move in this direction".

The emphasis is more on "steering" with body language rather than directing with signals to the mouth. He is responding to my asking, without ever getting to a point of me telling.

When the body slightly shifts, he knows to expect a change in direction. When asking him to give me his his head, it was slight pressure "up" the moment he gave, even a fraction, to escape the pressure he immediatley gained complete release, this was repeated until he realized with his head carried low, relaxed and natural he is on a loose rein with no contact.

I dont know if any of this is making sense, I think Im rambling.

There is three different ways of riding in this bit/positioning. I will get it out there on my boy before I give it the thumbs up or the thumbs down.... but Im pretty confident it is going to be perfect!
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  EquineAlberta Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:34 pm

I think this bit does make sense for the way you ride (and yes, you made sense!). I think it would be agood transition bit from the bosal to this snaffle, and would be a good bit to later prepare for a curb if you are planning to go that route.

I would be careful to activate the bit from the ground first in case the pinching action confuses your horse and makes him fling his head.

Interested to hear how it goes!

Karen
EquineAlberta
EquineAlberta

http://www.hillsidestable.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:46 pm

EquineAlberta wrote:I think this bit does make sense for the way you ride (and yes, you made sense!). I think it would be agood transition bit from the bosal to this snaffle, and would be a good bit to later prepare for a curb if you are planning to go that route.

I would be careful to activate the bit from the ground first in case the pinching action confuses your horse and makes him fling his head.

Interested to hear how it goes!

Karen

Thank you so much, Karen your insight and advice is much appreciated. I will see how he reacts from the ground before doing the same from his back. I would be really reluctant to ever move him into a curb bit....and then only if our communication was so clear that I would be comfortable with it.... I know a bit is only as severe as the person who's hands are attached to it, but I just dont like them! Maybe if we get into a certain discipline at some point down the road.... but I dont see it happening any time in the near future. I will keep you updated! Thank you for your interest as well!
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Pee Wee bit? Empty UPDATE

Post  myevenstar Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:31 pm

I was finally able to get out to my gelding today.... and was able to try out this bit. I absolutely love it.....Oz accepted it 100% and was extremely responsive, carried his head beautiful, nice and low. His mouth was extremely quiet, he was very, very relaxed with it, it just seems to be a perfect fit for what I was looking for. I am so happy with this bit, and of course my amazing horse.
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum