Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patchy hair and skin

+2
myhillbilly
Paintedlady
6 posters

Go down

Patchy hair and skin Empty Patchy hair and skin

Post  Paintedlady Tue May 12, 2009 6:07 pm

I have a 13yr old Arab gelding. Last summer he stared to develop little fingernail sized scabby patches, under his chin, across his arms, around his sheath. I apllied a solution, and it seemed to keep them at bay. Then they were pretty much gone. But over this winter, once I combed out his winter coat I find large patches in many areas. Never weeping, seldom with blood on the scab, but all the hair falls out and there are large yellowy flakes. It is worst onhis belly, forhead, and inhis mane? What is it from? What can I do about it? Why did it get so bad? He didn't have any more than the tiniest little spots like bug bights when I bought him a year ago.
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Patchy hair and skin Empty Re: Patchy hair and skin

Post  myhillbilly Tue May 12, 2009 7:34 pm

There's a good chance it could be "rain rot". Have your vet check him out. Rain rot spreads. Dont use his brushes, pads, or blankets on any of the other horses until you have him checked out.
myhillbilly
myhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 pm

The Vet had said that, when it was just in the base of his mane. She didn't seem concerned or mention that I should be. What ccan be done for it?
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch Tue May 12, 2009 11:28 pm

I would say that it is rain rot/rain scald as well. Does this horse have a longer coat than the rest of the horses?

Rain Rot is caused by a fungas called Dermatophilus congolensis. Rain rot is needs oxygen to strive so DO NOT blanket your horse if you think he has rain rot.

To get rid of it my vet says to wash them down with iodine soap and get the scabs nice and wet so they peel off easily. After that you make a mixture of lime, sulphur and water. One part line, One part Sulphur and eight parts water. Apply this daily for at least 5 days, I usually do it for a week!

Hope this helps!
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

http://www.fehrgroundranchs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  myhillbilly Wed May 13, 2009 6:45 pm

Do an iodine scrub. Make sure that the cloth is clean, and unfortunatly you will have to scrub and scratch the patches. Try not to get much on unaffected areas as the iodine is a little harsh at drying out the "good" skin! Your horse might get a little peeved cause it does hurt a bit when your scratching the scabs (GOD I HATE THAT WORD-YUCK!!!!) off. Try to do it at least 1-2X a day for 5-7 days. You should notice a difference. If it doesnt go away, call out your vet! I havent heard of the "concoction" that FehrGroundsRanch has suggested, but do it! People have the greatest ideas that work!
myhillbilly
myhillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady Fri May 15, 2009 7:11 pm

I talked to another vet and he said most likely ringworm fungus! How on earth do I get rid of that?
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  Falina Sat May 16, 2009 10:21 pm

You can buy a product from your vet or maybe even the tack/feed shop that will take care of ringworm. When you go to buy it talk to the person at the counter. He should be able to tell you if it is in fact ringworm. Maybe take a picture to show.

Falina

Back to top Go down

Post  In Alberta Sun May 17, 2009 9:44 am

I use crest toothpaste to get rid of ringworm. Cheap and does the job. Apply it a few times a day for a week or so. Make sure you trim the hairs around the mark as hair will cause it to tspread.

In Alberta

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady Sun May 17, 2009 11:38 am

Right, thanks everyone, very helpful!
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  Kari Sun May 17, 2009 12:50 pm

Crest does work well with ringworm! i have used it myself.
How about Louse??...They are VERY Bad this year! almost everyone i have talked to has had trouble with louse this year. Some horses look like they actually have "Mange" ...Nothing that Dri-Kill wont cure. once it gets warm enough to bath outside...The vet told me that Dog Shampoo works very well for Scabby/Sluffy Skin and hair coming off (rainrot, louse) and not harmful to the horse at all. You will have to bath more than once, but it does work.
Kari
Kari

http://www.freewebs.com/thomaspainthorses

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum