Hello from SA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from SA

Post  RyanGSP on Tue May 12, 2009 1:10 am

Hello,

Like the User name my name is Ryan. I recently moved back to the sunny south from Grande Prairie and am loving it down here. I have been tossing the idea of a horse around for about a year now and am still not sure if I am ready to make that sort of commitment, but hey I am here to learn anyway right.

The reason for the horse is because of the last 3 letters of the user name, GSP. This is my canine breed choice a 3 year old German Shorthaired Pointer who I am wanting to get into field trials with. Also to carry my lazy butt up and down the prairies in search of upland birds. I have been around a few different horse breeds (mostly all gaited horses) but haven't actually had the chance to get onto one yet. Infact I am totally green when it comes to horses but this will change before any purchasing. I plan on taking some riding classes and finding someone who will show me how to care for these animals.

Anway share your information, I wont be posting much just doing alot of reading and researching costs of keeping a horse and initial costs for tack, the horse, trailers, and anything else someone may need.

Oh and here's my guy. The setter is my father's dog.

RyanGSP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from SA

Post  Gallamist on Tue May 12, 2009 8:44 am

Welcome to the forum.

Nice Setter! I haven't seen one of them in YEARS! Wasn't sure there was even any breeders of the Irish Setter anymore!
Gallamist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch on Tue May 12, 2009 9:41 am

Hey Ryan! Welcome to the forum! Great choice in dogs! I used to have a GSP, what a good dog he was. My mom was almost a retirement home for GSP when they were past there prime and no longer valuable to their owners anymore! She has taken in and loved 4 who have finished their lives with her! They are wonderful dogs with great temperments weather you want to hunt or just have an active family dog!
FehrGroundRanch

View user profile http://www.fehrgroundranchs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanGSP on Tue May 12, 2009 10:09 am

There are still setters all over here in Alberta but try and find a hunting setter is a little more tricky. As far as I know there is 1 and she is in the Calgary area.

RyanGSP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JezzaBella on Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm

That German Shorthaired Pointer is beautiful, I always loved those dogs.
JezzaBella

View user profile http://www.vershantieranch.20fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Satin on Thu May 14, 2009 10:38 am

Very nice dogs. I always think that dogs and horses are a great combination to keep. The dog walks to your left, horse to your right and both adore you. GSPs are one of my favourite breeds. My grandfather used to have them for hunting ducks and I've never been able to get over how beautiful they are as a breed.

Hope you end up horsey soon! Enjoy GP.
Satin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum