Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Wild Horses Shot

4 posters

Go down

More Wild Horses Shot Empty More Wild Horses Shot

Post  FehrGroundRanch Fri May 08, 2009 8:19 pm

http://northernhorse.com/wildhorses/index.php/2009-april-shot-horses/

Man that is just terrible! I cannot believe someone would do something like that!
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

http://www.fehrgroundranchs.com

Back to top Go down

More Wild Horses Shot Empty Re: More Wild Horses Shot

Post  myevenstar Fri May 08, 2009 11:24 pm

This is disgusting, I am so angry that this is happening again! And what kind of sick loser shoots a mare giving birth??
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallamist Sat May 09, 2009 8:06 am

This was on the news a few weeks ago.

I am betting it's some farmer in the area that is ticked that wild horses are roaming and ruining 'grazing' pastures or hay fields or something like that so he thinks it's his right to shoot them.

He left them there to suffer...that mare was a week or so off of foaling and went into labour from the stress and shock of being shot. That poor stallion died a slow, miserable and painful death.

I hope they find the bastard and fine him HUGE! or something.
Gallamist
Gallamist

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch Sat May 09, 2009 9:57 am

That very well could be what is happening, a local farmer that is a little tore up about it!

I live a very short drive away from these wildies and they DO NOT ruin the grazing land, they is still lots of grass left in the fall and even in the spring (before the new growth) there is still a fair amount of grazing left.

It sad because they truly are amazing animals and not one bit harmful! Just a couple of weeks ago I brought a friend of mines 11yr old daughter out with me to see them (she had never seen them) and we were withn 30 feet of the lead stallion and he was showing NO aggression what so ever.
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallamist Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Ahhh some farmers are just OLD and CRANKY!.....LOLOL Wink

I would love to be able to quietly follow a herd for a few hours and watch them.
Gallamist
Gallamist

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch Sun May 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Come up at visit sometime and I will take you out to see them! LOL
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallamist Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 pm

LOL I just might have to let you know next time I'm driving by that way!
Gallamist
Gallamist

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanGSP Tue May 12, 2009 1:15 am

I know this is a sore subject being on a horse forum but bare with me here. Do I agree with the guy in question, well no. But wild horses are an introduced species and they are preventing the natural game such as elk from their natural feeding grounds. I have seen wild horses run elk off a hay stack before and have seen them run elk out of a medow.

Do they need to be shot? I dont think so but I think there needs to be some sort of control over the population so our natural wildlife doesnt suffer. By control I mean some sort of round up.

RyanGSP

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallamist Tue May 12, 2009 8:42 am

But that's just all part of the 'food chain'....I'm sure the moose and elk chase other wildlife off of there food to just as the wild horses chase them off hay stacks and meadows.

If they do a round up...Honestly how many people are willing to pay a few hundred or more bucks for a wild, untouched, horse?

There's not many that are experienced enough to be able to handle/house a wild horse. It's a whole different training/socilazion for a wild horse then it is for a domestic horse...You can take the horse from the wild but you can't take the wild from the horse. Wink
Gallamist
Gallamist

Back to top Go down

Post  FehrGroundRanch Tue May 12, 2009 9:50 am

Wildies can be adopted out, I'm pretty sure, but not 100%....

But like Gallamist says, who is willing to put that kind of time and money into a wildie when our main focus on horses now a days is in the dressage ring, hunters ring or the performance ring.

There is still PLENTY of elk out this way and the wild horses should be left, enough of them get die during the winter (not enough good, not proper nutrition), during foaling etc, etc, etc. That the numbers are pretty much under control.

I do agree that they should not get out of control, but I honestly don't think the numbers are out of control yet. Have you seen the amount of feed out there? I have! There is still lots!
FehrGroundRanch
FehrGroundRanch

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanGSP Tue May 12, 2009 10:08 am

But the are not part of the food chain. Not man animals are big enough to take down a mad Stallion. Infact the only animal I can think of that will go after a horse by choice is a cougar but the horse would have to be sick or small. Not sure how true it is but a friend down by waterton told me once a cougar has tasted horse flesh he will pass up on deer to eat horse. He told me he has seen cougars run past a deer heard to take down a foal. A pack of wolves might have a chance with a small one but the wouldnt stand a chance if mama came in.

Its not that there isnt enough food its that the wild horses are pushing the elk and moose out of their usual grazing ground which in turn puts them closer to people (hunters) and natural predators. The closer to people the easier Elk, moose and deer are to shoot, they cause problems in towns, and they start grazing along roads which could cause death to both the animals and drivers.

No Elk and moose will not run animals out of a meadow just because they are grazing in it. If you ever get the chance take a drive up by Falher AB in Febuary. You will see field with Moose, Elk and deer all grazing amongst each other.

RyanGSP

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallamist Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 am

Well i'm sure human hunters are not complaining about the 'wild game' being closer to find and shoot.....LOL Mmmmm Moose, Elk and deer!! Tasty!!

I'm not talking about moose chasing deer or elk out of meadows but, other critters....

I seen a moose back in January....thought it was a round bale of hay at first till I got closer and it started to run....Seen a Deer real close as the car hit her back end, nearly wrote the car off dammit!.....LOL

Anyways I'm blabbing.....lol
Gallamist
Gallamist

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanGSP Wed May 13, 2009 10:28 am

Sure hunters are not going to complain but if the natural game is closer to people that means more are being harvested and will upset the system. The way the draws are laid out they calculate what they think the percentage of issued tags will be that wont get filled and either give out more tags or not give out as many tags. This is all based on populations over the previous year and many years before that. One season on miscalculation could devastate wild populations for years.

It wont be long as you will start seeing a time of year when you can catch them freely, then if that doesnt work they will put out tags for them and if that doesnt work there will be a season for them.

RyanGSP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down