Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I shouldn't go to the auction.....

+3
Gallamist
Zada
KiddingAround
7 posters

Go down

Why I shouldn't go to the auction..... Empty Why I shouldn't go to the auction.....

Post  KiddingAround Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 am

Well, the fiance, his mother, our friend and I went to the auction in Innisfail on Saturday. Oh dear....... I really didn't think we'd end up with anything. We have been having no luck finding another horse for my fiance. Our old mare is getting up there, and we needed something younger, and bigger, for him.
We get to the auction late, due to the fact that we had to head to Strathmore that am to pick up an airater(sp?). Started at noon, and we got there at about 12:45 or so.
About the 3-4 horse in, a big brown gelding comes in. 10 years old, 16hh, been used to rope, on a feedlot etc. Rode him in saddled, he was nice and quiet, walked, trotted, they threw a rope over his head.....and now he lives in my yard! SOOOOO excited!
My fiance calls him Bandit. He's 16hh, but we are thinking closer to 11 or 12. Not sure on breed......someone said Standardbred X...as soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll show you all. He's got little white spots on him, but he's solid brown. Star, and 3 white socks. Both me and the man rode him around the pen yesterday, and he was a dream! Amazing movement.....you could probably throw an english saddle on him and head to a show! He's quiet, level headed and friendly. Kid wants to chase him around though, so they will be separated for a while. That darn Kid!

Also, now living in my yard, is a little POA type mare!!!! My first pony! LOL! Our friend bought her for his neice and nephew. She came in to the auction ring, all by herself, no one led her or anything. Just kicked her in. She's bred, they said to a mini paint stud. She should foal in a couple of weeks, so we'll see! They kids named her Princess, and she is a gem! She's got some scarring on her legs, and her feet were in awful condition, but she is a sweetie! We got lucky! Our neighbor came over and checked her teeth, which are also in awful condition, but she's quite young, around 3-4. The kids sat on her, and she is a peach! One kid will lead, the other sits on her back and she just walks around, following the leader. She comes up to visit anyone who comes in her pen, and is just the right size for the kids to build confidence on. I am in love! She has no real training, but the kids can play around on her and that's all we needed. They brushed her for hours!

Well, now that I've gone on, and on, and on, I promise I'm finished!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Why I shouldn't go to the auction..... Empty Re: Why I shouldn't go to the auction.....

Post  Zada Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:20 am

LOL! That's exactly why I've never been to an auction !!

BUT it sounds like you got an AWESOME deal!!! And the pony sounds cute too!! Congrats!!
Zada
Zada

Back to top Go down

Why I shouldn't go to the auction..... Empty Re: Why I shouldn't go to the auction.....

Post  KiddingAround Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 am

Thank you! We feel very lucky. Auctions are so risky, so we weren't sure what we might end up with. I heard horror stories about who we bought him from, saying their horses are nuts and they drug them etc. I was a little paranoid, but he is great!

I would have come home with a lot more, if my fiance wasn't there! There was a mini mule that went for $25! It's amazing how low they were going for. Dirt cheap. If I had the money and time, my yard would be full! No more for me though. Well......maybe for the tack. I got a new really nice saddle pad for $30! They are $60+ everywhere else. Also....The Mane Event is coming up, so I had to save my peso's! Haha!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallamist Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:39 am

Congrats on the new additions to the family!!

That is why I do NOT go to the auctions anymore.....lolol
Gallamist
Gallamist

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Thank you! And yes.....I have learned my lesson and no more auctions! LOL! Now if Kid would be nice to him and not chase him my problems would be solved!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  roseyg Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:16 pm

My hubby says he'll take me to an auction only if he gets to duct tape my mouth and tie my hands behind my back!! I can't say that I blame him!
Congats on your 2 new additions, they sound great!
roseyg
roseyg

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Haha! That sounds familiar! I think he has the same stipulations for me! He's so beaming proud of his new horse though.....bummer is he wrecked his back the day before we bought him, so he's only been able to ride him once for about 2mins. He's on the mend though, so he can ride soon! If anyone asks, Bandit is THE BEST horse on the property! LOL!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  dreamalittledream Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:08 pm

You know of course were all waiting for pics? lol

Seriously though, that is exactly why you go to auctions...to find that jewel & get them for a reasonable price. One person's garbage is another person's treasure.

You just have to be sure you don't go visit the auctions too often haha Wink
dreamalittledream
dreamalittledream

Back to top Go down

Post  jackieb226 Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:49 am

I was there too and ended up buying a coming up 3yr old Roan QH for DD and GF bought a really nice Hancock mare both were great deals and DD is happy with her new partner.

jackieb226

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:40 pm

JackieB, there was some really nice looking, well bred horses that came through there. Congrats on your new additions!
As soon as I figure out how to put pics up I will!!!!!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Why I shouldn't go to the auction..... Empty Auctions

Post  Painted Geisha Thu May 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Once I even left my trailer at home on purpose so I wouldn't buy anything at the Westlock auction and ended up having to make the trip back to pick it up:) I've bought two awesome horses at auction and no duds.

I shouldn't go to auctions though because I want to stand up and yell, "Who brought this horse here with those feet!? You should be shot with a ball of your own $h!+!" and I spend my time giving stink eye to the meat man.

Painted Geisha

Back to top Go down

Post  KiddingAround Fri May 08, 2009 10:45 am

Painted Geisha wrote:Once I even left my trailer at home on purpose so I wouldn't buy anything at the Westlock auction and ended up having to make the trip back to pick it up:) I've bought two awesome horses at auction and no duds.

I shouldn't go to auctions though because I want to stand up and yell, "Who brought this horse here with those feet!? You should be shot with a ball of your own $h!+!" and I spend my time giving stink eye to the meat man.

Hahaha! Some of the horses that come through just astound me! Our new pony had the WORST feet, poor girl! I would love to go to an auction to you, so I can see someone holler at the sellers! LOL!
KiddingAround
KiddingAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down