Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Trucks, Bad trucks

+4
Neil Dimmock
ParkAvenueEquines
Gallamist
knipper
8 posters

Go down

Good Trucks, Bad trucks Empty Good Trucks, Bad trucks

Post  knipper Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:33 pm

So we all know that our tax paying dollars are now promised to help bail out Chev and Chrysler... but besides that... We are looking for a truck, but we can't go all out and get the diesel or the massive truck. We've looked at the Dodge Ram 1500 and now, Hubby is *in love* with the Ford F 150. Mostly because he's more comfortable with purchasing from a company that is not using Canadian tax dollars as a bail out...
I'm more concerned on what can safely pull a 2-3 horse angle load trailer. I don't have the trailer yet, but I am leaning towards a bumper pull over a gooseneck... I have never pulled a gooseneck, so I am unsure of them, but will still consider one if the price is right.
So I want real life experience. What do you pull your trailers with and are you happy with the performance of your truck? Would you rather have a different truck and why?

knipper

Back to top Go down

Good Trucks, Bad trucks Empty Re: Good Trucks, Bad trucks

Post  Gallamist Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:44 pm

If your gonna go with something other then Chevy or Dodge I would go with Ford.. Actually I would go with Ford before Dodge....LOL

The old guy that brought my 2 horses here from BC had a 1985 (i think) Ford F150 and hauled a stock trailer (gooseneck) all through the mountains and it had more then enough power to pull through the mountains with 2 horses in the trailer. Actually he used to haul his show cattle in that truck and trailer all over Canada and the US into Texas n stuff....Probaly still has it to this day....LOL

Verns truck is a F150 (I belive) and Mike drove it and hauled Bella and Blue with the blue trailer and didn't seem to have any problems hauling that. Smile
Gallamist
Gallamist

Back to top Go down

Post  ParkAvenueEquines Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Generally I prefer a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 tone for hauling two or three horses. It's easier on the engine, and you have to worry less about being able to stop the trailer, lol. An F250 would be a better choice, but you should be able to get away with hauling 2 reasonably sized horses with an F150. Three horses, I wouldn't even consider a 1/2 ton.

Chevy's and GMC's have the highest towing capability, then Ford, then Dodge. A Dodge Ram 2500 can pull considerably less than a Ford F250, and even less than a Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra. Smile
ParkAvenueEquines
ParkAvenueEquines

http://www.parkavenueequines.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallamist Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:10 pm

A half ton CAN do the job, but how long the motor will last is another question.....LOL

I would much prefer a 3/4 ton tho too.

Apparently Diesel's have a better towing capasity? True?
Gallamist
Gallamist

Back to top Go down

Post  ParkAvenueEquines Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 pm

They have roughly the same capability as a gas fueled truck does (slightly more), but a diesel engine has more torque, making it easier to tow. Diesels also have better gas mileage. So in a way, you could say they have a better towing capability, in that it's easier to tow, but pound-wise there's not a significant difference.
ParkAvenueEquines
ParkAvenueEquines

http://www.parkavenueequines.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Dimmock Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:05 pm

Last edited by Neil Dimmock on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Neil Dimmock

http://hitchmasterspercherons.googlepages.com/home

Back to top Go down

Post  H4Services Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:43 pm

I won't spend a lot of time on Ford/GM/Dodge, but I've had them all over the years & have consistently gone back to GM. Our current truck is an '06 GMC Sierra with a Duramax & an Allison automatic. Best fuel mileage of its class, best ride of ANY light truck I've ever driven, & pulling my 4-horse head-to-head for over 350,000 kilometers I've had my foot to the floor twice (once just to see what it would do, the second to show off to a doubtful Ford owner) - there's power to spare, even fully loaded. I get 15 MPG in town, & 17 on the highway. Our Ford got 9 on a real good day; the last Dodge with a Cummins I had barely made double digits. (this is all pulling 16,000 - 20,000 pounds of loaded horse trailers)

If you're pulling a 2-horse, a 1/2 ton is fine. Anything over that you need at least a 3/4 ton. Engines & transmissions in light trucks are NOT designed to tow; the manufacturers add coolers & such to help those components deal with the added stress of towing, but despite what they claim, none of their units are "built" to tow. The differences between a 1/2 ton & a 3/4 ton are slight, but significant when towing. The biggest differences are in the suspension, frame thickness & brake size. The latter should be enough to make anyone buy a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton.

Look closely at the hitch rating; the MINIMUM for towing a 2-horse is a Class 4 - not a Class 3 as is commonly accepted. A Class 3 can easily be overloaded with a 2-horse trailer, whereas a Class 4 will withstand a 3-horse with no problem at all. Go big, or go home ... it's all about safety.

All trailers with 2 or more axles operated on any public road in Canada MUST have fully functional brakes on both axles. That means the tow vehicle must have a brake controller to operate the trailer brakes. This is no place to save a buck or two; get the best you can afford. It may save your life one day.

There's lots more, which is why I've decided to publish a book on the subject. It will be coming out late in May.

I will be posting snipets from the book along with previously published articles on trailering on my website in coming weeks.
H4Services
H4Services

http://www.h-4.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Dimmock Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Last edited by Neil Dimmock on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Neil Dimmock

Back to top Go down

Post  H4Services Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Judging by the shop rate, that may be a rather old post. Average dealership rate is $80 + now.

I had a '92 GMC that gave me no end of grief; finally ended up leaving me stranded in the middle of an intersection in Cloverdale. That was the only GM I ever had any serious issues with. Our last Ford nearly ate us out of house & home with repairs, & not just 2-bit stuff; differentials, clutches, etc, etc. It comes down to this; regardless of make or model, every truck is a machine & machinery breaks &/or wears out. If we all liked the same trucks, Baskin & Robbins would be out of business. Another carrier I work with put over 2 million kilometers on his Dodge before the engine lunched. He liked it so well he bought another one last year, & now hates his new one. Go figure ...
H4Services
H4Services

Back to top Go down

Post  Wapiti Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:06 pm

Dodge...... cummins all the way... there is no way that a gas job (unless it is a half ton, but they dont have the power to pull enough for me) has the fuel efficiency of a diesel. Power, fuel efficient and good lookin' to boot. I would suggest at least a 3/4 ton if you are pulling. Also depends where you are going I guess, through the prairies, not a lot of hills, short trips, highway miles- a half ton might do the job, but I dont like it when my bumper drags on the ground...lol..... If you want something that is built to pull and built to last, buy a dodge diesel, 1990-2002 were the best years in my opinion, if you can find one. I have 2, a one ton and a 3/4 ton and they have never let me down. awesome trucks.
As far as gooseneck versus bumper pull, go for the gooseneck, easier to pull, smoother ride for you and your horses, easier on your truck.
Wapiti
Wapiti
Wapiti

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Dimmock Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:47 am

Last edited by Neil Dimmock on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Neil Dimmock

Back to top Go down

Post  H4Services Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Agreed. That's why I drive what I drive too. I've talked to a lot of others pulling large/heavy trailers, not too many are getting anywhere near 17 MPG loaded at 21,000 pounds. The last Ford we had barely got 9 doing the same work. The difference in fuel savings alone makes my truck payment for me.

I think the Big 3 all have comparable offerings nowadays, so it's nice not to be stuck chocolate or vanilla ...
H4Services
H4Services

Back to top Go down

Post  In Alberta Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:33 pm

I have a 96 GMC 1500 with a 6.5 turbo diesel, and use to haul a 16 foot bumper pull and it was gutless. I then purchased a 14 foot gooseneck, and have hauled horses a couple of times, but wouldn't put more than one horse in it at a time. Its not what the truck can haul, its how its gonna stop. If you look in the GM owners manual. You can haul up to 6500 pounds with my truck listed, and if you went to a 2500, it can legally haul 6000 pounds.

Laura

In Alberta

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:27 pm

We have just bought a truck. We got a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with 4x4, 6.0L engine and a towing package and about 130,000km for just under $12,000. Also - it's rated to haul 10,000 pounds with a GVW of 17,000. A 1500 has a lot less hauling capacity. I really recommend at least a 3/4 ton.
We went through our mechanic and had to drive for a few hours to pick it up and it still needs a couple hundred in maintenance, but it hauls like a dream! I'm just going to give you a list of things that we were warned against and things that were suggested. I'm assuming you're in about the same price range and looking for about the same thing we are. Also keep in mind that with any truck that isn't a short box, you can get a fifth wheel hitch installed.
Get a 3/4 ton (2500) or bigger.
4X4 is a must, especially with dualies. A lot of people also don't like dualies for hauling.
Diesel is preferable if you can find it. The engines last a lot longer and are just "broken in" around 100,000 to 150,000km.
If you can find fleet trucks these are the best deals if you don't mind some abused looking interior/exteriors.
Make sure you get the service records!!!!!
The best fuel economy is GMC/Chev and the worst is Dodge. Hemis absolutely guzzle gas. Our GMC took a quarter tank from about the distance from Calgary to Edmonton with no load.
I know Osman Auctions has quite a few really nice looking trucks right now. Probably all the auctioneers do.
Don't go through a used car dealer - you'll be paying too much.

Good luck! And pick up a bargain finder, they are great too!
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down