Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dressage Coach Wanted

4 posters

Go down

Dressage Coach Wanted Empty Dressage Coach Wanted

Post  SunShineMeadows Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Looking for a reputable dressage coach in the Edmonton area. Any suggestions welcome!! Thank you in advance.
SunShineMeadows
SunShineMeadows

Back to top Go down

Dressage Coach Wanted Empty Re: Dressage Coach Wanted

Post  Sarah Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Check out Amberlea Meadows. They are big into dressage. Not too far from Edmonton.

http://www.amberleameadows.com/
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:23 pm

What level are you riding (training, first, second, etc..)? What part of Edmonton are you in? Are you willing to move stables? Do you need a coach that travels?
All of these and more are considerations when you are looking for a coach. There are many dressage coaches in the Edmonton area, but not all of them will be right for you depending on your level and whether or not you need someone to travel and what your learning style is like.
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  SunShineMeadows Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Hey Sarah - I've previously ridden at Amberlea and am very impressed with Cheryl as a jumping coach, but when I took a few lessons under Ellen for dressage I was more than a little unimpressed. I classified myself as a beginner dressage rider but with a lot of previous riding; the lesson she placed me in, she frequently ignored to talk to people all on the sidelines and had people who could hardly ride at all. One evening she was late, so we only got half a lesson in - then ontop of that were told to go feed all the horses in the barn. Needless to say, I gave her a 5 week trial period and got nothing out of the dressage lessons; I was merely putting a ride on her lesson horses for her. If the instruction wasn't as such I would've been more than willing to drive the hour it took for me to get there, as I did when I jumped under Cheryl.

I would be riding at training level and looking to quickly improve to first I believe. I'm out near Fort Saskatchewan and would be hauling to the stable with my own horse; the one problem being it may very likely be a stallion so I have to take that into consideration as not all stables look highly into bringing stallions in.
SunShineMeadows
SunShineMeadows

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 am

I'm not too familiar with North Edmonton.. But if you are ambitious you would contact Sharon Merkel-Beattie. She is one of Alberta's only Grand Prix riders and does really well with all sorts of horses. Gina Smith also does clinics there. The only thing is that I think Sharon goes out East a lot to compete and train. It's a great place though, the people are very nice. http://www.windhavenenterprises.com/
I do know the east side fairly well though.. I used to train with Sanna Hodgson, and she has a great group of people over east of Sherwood park. I know she also travels up to Cold Lake area, or somewhere around there, for clinics. She is really super with "issue" horses and with getting riders started in dressage. Also at this barn there are clinics with Henk Glijn.
Norma Jean Clayton also trains on the East side, the last time I checked though she requires that the horse is boarded in at least part time training with her at her barn. She also has quite a few students and I think is doing PSG this year..
There's also Royal Farms in Sherwood Park. I've never trained there but the horses are always happy and healthy when I see them at shows. And Sheila is really nice. http://www.royalfarms.ca/

These are all the ones I can remember off the top of my head.. If you want west/south side ones I can list some of those too. There aren't a ton of trainers in Edmonton area though..
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:41 am

I know this lady that does 4 level dressage with her morgan. I will find out who she trains under. I think it may be somewhere in the Leduc area which is quite far from you but maybe going down highway 21 it may not take to long. I'll see what I can find out.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:02 am

Sarah wrote:I know this lady that does 4 level dressage with her morgan. I will find out who she trains under. I think it may be somewhere in the Leduc area which is quite far from you but maybe going down highway 21 it may not take to long. I'll see what I can find out.
Kathy?? I think she is at Zephyr Ridge.. don't quote me though.
She used to train under Marcy Armstrong though.
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:05 am

DressageAndRhinestones wrote:
Sarah wrote:I know this lady that does 4 level dressage with her morgan. I will find out who she trains under. I think it may be somewhere in the Leduc area which is quite far from you but maybe going down highway 21 it may not take to long. I'll see what I can find out.
Kathy?? I think she is at Zephyr Ridge.. don't quote me though.
She used to train under Marcy Armstrong though.

Yes I am thinking about Kathy P. Where is Zephyr Ridge? Marcy is the name I was think of.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  SunShineMeadows Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:37 am

Perfect - thank you for all your information; you've mentioned a few stables I hadn't even heard of - which I will most definitely check out. The only problem right now may be that - during the winter months I'd be willing to board at a stable, but not very many are willing to cater to stallions unless it's for a ridiculous price. Which is where my predicament is in choosing a place to train as some aren't even too keen on you bringing in one; so if this deal goes through (into price negotiations now!!) then I may be hooped for that very reason. Any suggestions? Doesn't help he's a young 17hh stallion either!
SunShineMeadows
SunShineMeadows

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:40 am

The girl Kathy that we were talking about has a stallion also. So if she is at Zepher Ridge then they must take stallions.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Kathy left Marcy's (long story) and as far as I can remember is at Zephyr Ridge. It is really south though, like south of Leduc. Marcy's is south as well if I remember correctly.
I know of a place that takes stallions, but they already have 3 and probably wont take more...
East of the city there is a barn where Shawna Kelly used to train out of that takes stallions and I know that Sanna will travel there. I totally forget the name though.

Good luck finding a barn for your stallion and a good coach!
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  TradeMark Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:16 pm

Stephen Forbes near Sherwood park....
http://www.fstopline.com/
TradeMark
TradeMark

Back to top Go down

Post  DressageAndRhinestones Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:39 pm

TradeMark wrote:Stephen Forbes near Sherwood park....
http://www.fstopline.com/

He doesn't give lessons though (last time I checked)..
As far as I know he will ride your horse (especially the young ones - he is super with them) but I have never heard of him giving a lesson.
That's the only reason I didn't mention him...
DressageAndRhinestones
DressageAndRhinestones

Back to top Go down

Post  TradeMark Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:43 pm

They have private lessons listed on the site, and the last I spoke to him he did lessons? Maybe that has changed though.. If someone is interested, their contact info is there to inquire
TradeMark
TradeMark

Back to top Go down

Post  SunShineMeadows Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 pm

Thank you so much guys - unfortunately found out the stallion I was looking at had OC in his hocks which they were hiding, so won't be purchasing him. Still on the hunt!

Who would you guys recommend as a trainer though? I'm looking at sending my Friesian gelding out for a month for some finishing while I'm in Mexico.
SunShineMeadows
SunShineMeadows

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down