Alberta Equine Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Nile Virus

5 posters

Go down

West Nile Virus Empty West Nile Virus

Post  CWarmbloods Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 pm

I just moved from BC to AB last year and the WNV has not hit BC yet. I see there has been some cases in AB though. Just curious where these cases are/were? Are they generally further south in the province? Just wondering if anyone knew. Thanks!

CWarmbloods

http://www.cindyswarmbloods.com

Back to top Go down

West Nile Virus Empty Re: West Nile Virus

Post  myevenstar Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:26 pm

CWarmbloods wrote:I just moved from BC to AB last year and the WNV has not hit BC yet. I see there has been some cases in AB though. Just curious where these cases are/were? Are they generally further south in the province? Just wondering if anyone knew. Thanks!

I know of a couple that contracted it at the barn I kept my horse at in Calgary. I left BC (in the lower mainland) about three years ago, but had started Vaccinating our horses for WN, even in BC 5 or 6 years ago.

After seeing the one mare who contracted it, I will always be on top of my guy's vaccine. It was really quite sad.
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  CWarmbloods Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:53 pm

I vaccinated mine last spring for the first time so they are vaccinated but I was just curious have far north. When I had asked my vet in BC about it he didn't think I would be at a high risk since I was moving to Mayerthorpe which is quite a ways "up" Alberta. so just wondering if he was correct or not. In the meantime I will keep vaccinating though, not worth the risk!

CWarmbloods

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:00 pm

CWarmbloods wrote:I vaccinated mine last spring for the first time so they are vaccinated but I was just curious have far north. When I had asked my vet in BC about it he didn't think I would be at a high risk since I was moving to Mayerthorpe which is quite a ways "up" Alberta. so just wondering if he was correct or not. In the meantime I will keep vaccinating though, not worth the risk!

I completely agree! Well I live about as far "up" in Alberta as you do, though I am to the East and you are to the West. ( I am in St Paul)

My good friend's husband is a vet, and said that it is highly recommend, though I didnt ask if or how many horses have contracted it in our area. He is coming out next week to give OZ his boosters!
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  CWarmbloods Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Do you give just the single dose of Prevnile to horses that haven't been vaccinated or the double dose of Fort Dodge? I did double dose on my mares last year but two didn't get done as they were not with me at the time. They are in foal for this year and I am a bit nervous to vaccinate while in foal so was wondering if they single dose of Prevnile right after foaling and before being rebred would be better?

CWarmbloods

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:05 pm

I think you can give either, if they havent been vaccinated before. But if you dont know if your mares have been done or not, then you would want to go with the double, I think? With their first dose being mid to late April. My guess is as good as yours on this one. I know nothing about pregnant mares and vaccines, but I would feel the same way, just like a human mom has to be very careful of what they do with their bodies when pregnant? hahaha I dont know, Im just tossing guesses out here...
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  sierra Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:45 pm

As far as I recall, it is best to vaccinate a mare in foal 4-6 weeks before they foal out as the antibodies will protect the foal until they are old enough to be vaccinated themselves. You can then vaccinate the weanling at 3-4 months and then booster at 6 months. Best to check it out with a vet though.
sierra
sierra

Back to top Go down

Post  JezzaBella Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:07 pm

A colt my sister sold to a very appreciative family died of west nile last year. He was full brother to my bs paint gelding. The family was extremely devestated.

I always thought west nile was somewhat exagerrated but that one hit close to home. Our personal horses have all been vaccinated last year (as well as some boarders, optional), going to again this season as well. Real quick like actually.
JezzaBella
JezzaBella

http://www.vershantieranch.20fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  myevenstar Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:04 pm

so sad isnt it?? Someone told me if you are farther north than Edmonton, you dont have to worry about it, but even if there was a 0.000001 chance my boys could get it, Id rather not take the risk.... mine are being done next week! Smile
myevenstar
myevenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  JezzaBella Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:08 pm

We do them ourselves, er my husband does.. needles freak the hell outta me lol.
JezzaBella
JezzaBella

http://www.vershantieranch.20fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  buckskinchic Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:02 pm

I've heard of cases in Calgary area/south east Medicine Hat way, Lloydminster and northern alberta has had cases too.Thats just horses,I'm sure there was more in birds....

buckskinchic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down